What is skin ageing?
We are all destined to experience skin ageing. Skin ageing is a degenerative process caused by intrinsic (chronological) and extrinsic (environmental) ageing. These factors are something most of us can relate to, and contribute to the visible signs of skin ageing:
• A loss of skin firmness and elasticity
• Fine lines and wrinkles
• Sun damage and pigmentation
• Irregular pigmentation and texture
• Large pores
• Dry skin
• Loss of facial volume
Unfortunately, intrinsic ageing is something we have little control over. This is because it is a natural process, determined by internal factors and is programmed by our genes.
Extrinsic ageing, also known as photo-ageing, is caused by external factors that we are regularly exposed to and can be prevented or minimised. External elements such as sunlight, pollution, nutritional intake, smoking, stress and lack of sleep are among the most common factors. The single biggest culprit is the sun!
What causes age spots?
Skin ageing is something we will all suffer with as we grow old. It causes the surface layers of our skin (known as the epidermis) to thin, and the number of melanocytes (the pigment producing cells) to decrease. If we have some areas of the skin that are more exposed to the sun, the remaining melanocytes in these areas will increase in size. This leads to our skin appearing thinner and more pale, with large pigmented areas known as age spots, lentigos or liver spots.
What causes skin dryness?
The production of oil slows down, which can cause our skin to become dry, and also our blood vessels become more fragile, which is why we have an increased chance of bruising.
What causes sunken eyes and a ‘skeletal’ appearance?
We will also lose fat under the skin, which becomes evident in areas such as the cheeks, temples, chin, nose and eyes. This is the basis for a more ‘skeletal’ appearance with a loosened skin and sunken eyes.
What causes fine lines and wrinkles?
Collagen and elastin are the fibres that give our skin its structure and the breakdown of these leads to lines, wrinkles and a loss of elasticity resulting in skin sagging.
It’s important to remember that the sun’s harmful rays are the culprit behind many of our skin ageing changes and although these effects can not be completely undone, with the correct skin care and advanced clinical treatments, they can be significantly repaired. Your skin remembers every hour of sun it’s been exposed to, and although the effects don’t show whilst we are young, it’s extremely important to protect your skin throughout your whole life.
At Kate Kerr London we have a number of proven techniques effective in helping reverse the signs of ageing. Having regular anti-ageing facials such as the Advanced Dermapen Anti-Ageing facial in conjunction with a course of Advanced Skin Peels or Dermapen Micro-Needling will help to reverse the effects of ageing in the skin. The recommended treatment and skin care programme for your skin concerns will be decided after a thorough skin analysis and consultation
What does the Advanced Skin Peel treatment involve?
Your skin peel treatment is designed specifically for your skin ageing concerns whilst taking into consideration your skin colour and photo-type. Your skin’s health and concerns determine the type of advanced peel selected. After a thorough cleansing the skin is prepped and the chosen skin peel is applied. Once the peel has been applied for the desired length of time, the peel is neutralised. A cooling, hyaluronic acid based gel is used to soothe and hydrate the skin.
What does the Dermapen Micro-Needling treatment involve?
The treatment area is disinfected and a topical anesthetic cream is applied and left to activate for a minimum of 45 minutes. Once anaesthetised the numbing cream is removed, the skin disinfected and a serum containing growth factors is applied. Using a single use sterile treatment tip, the skin is needled in a ‘Union Jack’ pattern. Once the micro-needling is finished the skin is cleansed using a gentle antiseptic cleanser followed by an ice cold compress to soothe the treated area. A cooling, hyaluronic acid based gel is used to soothe and hydrate the skin before the application of a mineral SPF50 sunscreen.
What does the Advanced Anti-Ageing Dermapen Facial involve?
Your treatment is specifically designed for your own individual ageing symptoms and concerns. Taking these concerns into consideration a precise collection of the latest advanced machines, skin peels, specialist massage techniques and cosmeceutical products will be combined to deliver dramatic results. Using the award winning Dermapen micro-needling device this one of a kind, painless treatment creates thousands of tiny micro-channels in the skin to aid the deeper penetration of active ingredients. The Advanced Anti-ageing Treatment is individual to you and may differ with each subsequent appointment depending on your concerns and your skin’s health. This facial is recommended as a regular monthly treatment and best results are seen when performed in conjunction with one of the above, more advanced, skin treatments.
Having regular anti-ageing facials such as the Advanced Dermapen Anti-Ageing facial in conjunction with a course of Advanced Skin Peels or Dermapen Micro-Needling will help to reverse the effects of ageing in the skin. The recommended treatment and skin care programme for your skin concerns will be decided after a thorough skin analysis and consultation
For more information please see Advanced Skin Peels, Dermapen Micro-Needling and the Advanced Dermapen Anti-Ageing Facial
- Sun exposure
- Inadequate diet and poor fluid intake
- Inadequate or incorrect skin care for your skin
1. Protect yourself from the sun: The sun plays a major role in ageing the skin prematurely. Use a minimum SPF30 Broad Spectrum sunscreen everyday and reapply every two hours when in the sun. Wear a hat, protective clothing and sunglasses. No sunbathing and avoid the sun between the hours of 10am and 4pm . Use a high strength antioxidant serum containing L’ascorbic acid (vitamin C) daily.
2. Healthy well balanced diet: Eat a low Glycaemic Index diet rich in fruit and vegetables, lean meat and fish, nuts and seeds and plenty of water. Avoid sugar and refined carbohydrates as these are proven to accelerate the ageing process.
3. Drink Less alcohol
4. If you smoke, STOP! Smoking rapidly increases the ageing process and leads to a dull, sallow complexion.
5. Sleep on your back or use a silk pillowcase. Sleeping on your stomach or side causes lines to appear on the face and décolletage. Over time these lines turn into permanent wrinkles
6. Exercise regularly. A study published recently suggests that moderate to vigorous exercise performed for a minimum of three hours per week can help reverse the signs of ageing.
7. Reduce repetitive facial expressions. Using the same facial expression over many years leads to the development of permanent wrinkles. For example wearing sunglasses can help prevent the lines caused by squinting.
8. Get plenty of sleep
9. Reduce stress
10. Use an anti-ageing focused skin care regime using advanced cosmeceutical products and have regular clinical facial treatments. The gold standard active ingredients recommended for an advanced anti-aging skin care programme are: retinol, or other vitamin A derivative, growth factors, an L ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) antioxidant and minimum SPF 3O sunscreen.
The importance of a consultation
At Kate Kerr London, we believe that before commencing any skin treatment it is important to have a thorough consultation from a medical professional. ALL skin and skincare concerns will be taken into account before a treatment regime and home care advice is recommended.
When you choose to visit Kate Kerr London you can be sure you are benefiting from the most extensive experience across a wide range of treatments to help you achieve the results you are looking for. Kate’s knowledge and experience as a skin specialist enables her to treat most skin concerns, but she will always make the appropriate referrals when necessary.
For more information please see Advanced Skin Peels, Dermapen Micro-Needling and the Advanced Dermapen Anti-Ageing Facial or for a consultation please contact us.